Current Job Listings
Animal Shelter Manager
Verde Valley Humane Society – Cottonwood, AZ
$35,000 a year
POSITION SUMMARY: The Verde Valley Humane Society (VVHS) is located in Cottonwood, AZ in the beautiful high desert between Sedona and Jerome. Cottonwood is situated along the Verde River and offers a comfortable small-town feel, low cost of living, and a mild climate.
The Shelter Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Verde Valley Humane Society facility, internal systems, policies and procedures and the organization’s staff. The Shelter Manager provides leadership, oversight and long- range planning to ensure that all areas are operating at the highest standard possible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate and direct the daily activities of the staff at VVHS. Responsible for production of the weekly work schedule for employees assuring there is little overtime.
- Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and MSDS safety rules. Maintain all records and training following OSHA standards.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and motivational skills as well as the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks at once.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a genuine desire to model and facilitate productive communication in the workplace.
- Responsible for the hiring, supervising, coaching and training of animal welfare workers, providing regular, on-going feedback and timely evaluations.
- Addresses employee problems and grievances.
- Communicate in an effective and professional manner with public and all staff members. Is able to diffuse situations in regards to the public or employees in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintains shelter records and statistics that include but not limited to: animal population, adoption, euthanasia and spay/neuter.
- Maintains personnel data on shelter employees.
- Oversees the community service workers and all paperwork associated with.
- Maintains the liaison with the ACO entities through email and phone.
- Reports monthly numbers to Best Friends and Shelter Animals Count that VVHS partners with.
- Develop and maintain the Foster Program including holding monthly foster orientations. Responsible for soliciting help from foster volunteers when an animal requires foster care whether medically or behaviorally.
- Management of the Rescue Program. Reaches out to rescue organizations in a timely manner. Performs site checks to assure the rescue groups meet our standards of care. Recruitment of rescue organizations outside the state of Arizona is expected.
- Oversees the Working Cat Program which includes continual recruitment of new businesses and private citizens willing to utilize our felines.
- Manages the TNR/Community Cat Programs through our computer software. Assures all information is entered in ASM and that the cats are released correctly once the medical work has been completed.
- Oversees the retail shop in the lobby in regards to assuring all items are marked with correct pricing and the area is kept neat and clean.
- Participates in the coordination of events, dates and passes along information about the event to the volunteer coordinator to encourage volunteer participation.
- Responds to all volunteer concerns and takes action where needed. Assures the Executive Director is informed.
- Participates in fundraising and adoption events.
- Attends meetings with other shelter agencies and maintains a relationship with said agencies.
- Oversees the Transfer in Program and takes into account our inventory prior to receiving animals from other shelters.
- When applicable, attends community events and expos as a representative of the shelter.
- Oversees the daily operations of the shelter ensuring the most effective use of limited resources.
- Oversees the ordering and inventory of shelter supplies and equipment and assures that appropriate quantities of all supplies are on hand at all times; for example, food received from Purina. Regularly researches new products, equipment and pricing.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, enforces all policies and protocols to protect the health and well-being of the animals in our care.
- Leads staff discussions regarding placement decisions, offsite adoption sites, behavior plans and other related concerns.
- Provides suggestions and final approval for decisions about euthanasia.
- Work well both independently and cooperatively as part of team.
- Remain composed while working in fast-paced environment.
- Conducts meetings with staff to review procedures, discuss workplace issues and share ideas to improve animal care, the customer service experience and the organization in general.
- Train and evaluate progress of new employees.
- Monitors safety compliance for staff and volunteers. Promotes safety on a continual basis; report all on-the-job injuries sustained by staff and volunteers working at the VVHS to the Executive Director immediately.
- Meets with the Executive Director to develop long-range programs and regularly review policies and procedures.
- Oversees intakes and adoptions and ensures that the public receives accurate information and excellent customer service. When necessary, assists staff with tense situations involving the public.
- Perform shelter duties with other staff members.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the VVHS facility. Assures that the building is operating in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Works with the Executive Director to prepare the annual budget and closely monitors income and expense throughout the year.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or 5 years of relevant animal welfare experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ management experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory knowledge, including motivational techniques and professional development/training methods.
- Demonstrated program management knowledge including basic statistical methods, budget oversight and knowledge of local, state and federal regulations for the workplace.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to helpings others reach their full potential.
- Ability to work in an emotionally taxing field – a positive attitude and sense of humor are essential.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform basic mathematical skills.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use ASM software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance is required. Access to reliable transportation.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
Job Type: Full-time
This position is open until filled.
We are now hiring a P/T energetic, honest, and dedicated Kennel Staff member.
This position currently offers approximately 20 hours a week, with the opportunity to advance to more hours in the future. Position includes kennel cleaning, general cleaning duties, customer service and working directly with the animals. Must have great customer service and communication skills, be able to lift 50 pounds or more, ability to be flexible with schedule, must love animals and experience a plus.
The position will include weekends and some holidays. High School Diploma or GED is required, and must be over 18.
Please submit resume or apply in person between 10am and 5pm (1520 W. Mingus, Cottonwood)